[teacherartexchange] Copyright question - student art

---------

From: Anonymous (teacherartexchange_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 12:53:39 PDT

Greetings Teacher Art Exchange,

I have read the copyright guidelines thoroughly. USE
THOSE KIDS ART AS IS. Trust me, you don't want me to
go into all the reasons why it is OK. Don't get me
started. Art Education and ArtsEducators members have
had it up to their eyeballs with my copyright posts.

If those copyrighted holders don't want their images
used they they should stop marketing them to kids.

Now...if the kiddies were making exact copies of
Garfield and trying to sell them - that would be
different.

If you want to totally "cover your _ _ _" add a note
about the use of those images saying they will be
removed in future publications at the request of the
copyright holder. Add that no copyright infringement
is intended.

But you could also make a statement....Have the kid
(who is wearing the Garfield) write a letter asking
permission to show his/her work in the brochure... I
guarantee it will not get answered -but at least you
have shown your feelings on how absurd it is to follow
the letter of the law.

(Note: this opinion can not be construed as legal
advice and does not reflect the opinion of Getty)

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/