[teacherartexchange] Copyright Question

---------

From: Anonymous (teacherartexchange_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 20:43:52 PDT

A Question for the Gang!
    Our middle school curriculum committee met a couple of days ago to select
artwork for the new curriculum guide that we just finished. We decided to
use a variety of self portraits done by our students. The committee selected a
portrait by one of my eighth graders. My student used a mirror and a
photograph to draw her pastel portrait. She was wearing a Garfield t-shirt which she
included in the portrait. One of the committee members questioned whether the
portrait should used because of the Garfield logo. She even suggested that I
remove the logo from the portrait.
     As I look back at other student portraits, I have found that many kids
have included the logos on their clothing. It is my personal opinion that if
the student has purchased the clothing to represents their personal identity,
that it should not be a copyright offense to include it in a portrait.
    Have you ever encountered this situation? Help!!

Carolyn in Virginia