Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Northwest Coast Native American Lesson Idea

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 20:47:03 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Andy DiConti's link was posted on Art Education list
This is an authentic approach as his students carved
wood - and the work is amazing. I know what all Andy
was teaching in his lesson....and I also know
that the Northwest Coast DO want us to know about
their art and the meanings. Many sites are online
teaching us about their art. There are also videos - a
good one is Smart One with Dempsey Bob (if you can
find it). Plus there is an excellent CD-ROM about the
totems and meaning. Not all Native Cultures
agree with everything on the "Do Nots" list.

I will let you decide which is the better lesson.
See this one that is on ArtsEdge Kennedy Center:

I am not posting these to debate - just for
reflection. A posted a wood assemblage totem idea that
generated a healthy discussion on Art Education
list....and in the end we decided we were all in
agreement afterall. I just didn't make my original
idea post a wordy one.

Here is that long list of Do's and Don'ts:
This is the popular "Don't" that we art teachers get
attacked on:
"Don't have them make 'Indian crafts' unless you know
authentic methods and have authentic materials."
I can find a whole mess of Do's in Andy's lesson and
in the personal Totem lesson idea I posted.

Judy Decker

Do you Yahoo!?