RE: Groovy Project Ideas on Egypt

---------

From: LINDA KIELING (kielingl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 14:04:34 PDT

weaving was one of the earliest Egyptian crafts (scraps of woven linen
have been discovered dating back 6,000 years!).......
for tomb paintings, try pouring plaster into styrofoam tray, when dry
scratch in drawing with nail using Canon of Proportion and painting

Linda W. Kieling
Art Educator
OAEA Youth Art Month Chair
Rosemont Ridge Middle School
20001 Salamo Road
West Linn, OR 97068
503.673.7591
503.657.8720 fax
www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/Artindex.htm

>>> kchughes55@yahoo.com 4/30/2004 11:59:51 AM >>>
I had my sixth graders this year recreate an Egyptian tomb at school.
They did tempera batik tomb paintings(these were great), they translated
their own names into hieroglyphics at an online website and then made
cartouches on paper. They did clay canopic jars as well as two life size
sarcophagus. The sarcophagus's (sarcophagi)?, were made out of cardboard
but were 3D and stood up by themselves, the faces were plaster castings
of two student volunteers and all the kids helped to paint them.
Kathy

Christy Kane <claygoddess31@hotmail.com> wrote:
I remember my cooperating teacher doing cat mummies out of paper mache
and
paper towels with painted hieroglyphics. A little creepy, but
definately
different!!!!
Egyptian paste scarabs would be fun for your older kids. You can buy
the
paste in several colors, and I think you may even be able to get a
scarab
mold.
How about copper foil embossed bracelets or cartouches with their names
in
glyphs?
Have the kids design a mural for a kings tomb and paint it on a large
piece
of cardboard or more permanent masonite?? particle board?How about
having
the kids make staff tops out of clay then mount them on dowel rods?
Sounds like you're going to have a great year!!

Christy Kane-Hedman
Potter
3-D Art Teacher
Deer Lakes High School