Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Groovy Project Ideas on Egypt

From: Kathy Hughes (kchughes55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 11:59:51 PDT

I had my sixth graders this year recreate an Egyptian tomb at school. They did tempera batik tomb paintings(these were great), they translated their own names into hieroglyphics at an online website and then made cartouches on paper. They did clay canopic jars as well as two life size sarcophagus. The sarcophagus's (sarcophagi)?, were made out of cardboard but were 3D and stood up by themselves, the faces were plaster castings of two student volunteers and all the kids helped to paint them.

Christy Kane <> wrote:
I remember my cooperating teacher doing cat mummies out of paper mache and
paper towels with painted hieroglyphics. A little creepy, but definately
Egyptian paste scarabs would be fun for your older kids. You can buy the
paste in several colors, and I think you may even be able to get a scarab
How about copper foil embossed bracelets or cartouches with their names in
Have the kids design a mural for a kings tomb and paint it on a large piece
of cardboard or more permanent masonite?? particle board?How about having
the kids make staff tops out of clay then mount them on dowel rods?
Sounds like you're going to have a great year!!

Christy Kane-Hedman
3-D Art Teacher
Deer Lakes High School
Russellton, PA 15076