the alexander calder family

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 07:21:39 PDT

Recently, there was a short thread about the Calders. I had a vague recollection of the family story, but checked with my brother, also an art teacher. He reiterated the story for me:The Calders were an old Philadelphia family. If you stand on the grand staircase in the museum looking down Benjamin Franklin Parkway you first see Sandy Calder's mobile entitled Ghost. Looking past through the windows you can see the Swan fountain at Logan Circle which was designed and created by his father, Alexander (all three were named Alexander). Past that is the statue of Billy Penn atop city hall. That was done by Sandy's grandfather, the first of the Calder artists.

There is also some folklore that, from a certain angle, William Penn appears to be in a rather embarrassing position due to the way he is holding the Declaration. This was supposedly done on purpose by Calder who had no respect for him because Penn had the reputation of being a womanizer and cad.

Thought some of you might find this interesting. Linda in NC

This email is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, retransmission, copying, or taking action in reliance on this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the information immediately. All email correspondence to and from this email address may be subject to NC Public Records Law which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement."
Outbound by GCSnet (b37)

---