Respect for Art- "Artsy-Smartsy" - Students L.E.A.R.N.

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 10:24:40 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Andy DiConti has put out the challenge to come up with
a good acronym for the kind of learning that goes on
in art...Think Blooms and see what you can come up
with...This was prompted by Jancy's post (I shared it
with the other lists)

From Andy:

There's an acronym (administrators love these) in
there somewhere: maybe some of you can come with
one...not too original, but here's mine(somewhat
obvious).

L.(listen)E.(express)A.(analyze)R.(respect)N.(notice
or note...I had to substitute observe).

I added Synthesize S for LEARNS but like LEARN better.

This was Jancy' post:
Here is Jancy's reply:

My usual response involves: Do students have to listen
in art? Observe? Reflect? Analyze? Express? Describe?
Aren't those all skills that the
proficiency test requires?
I even have a little banner by my doorway in the hall
that says : Observe, Listen, Reflect, Express.
It has taken my staff a long time to get a clue.
The challenge is on.... Maybe all will have banners
above their doorways?...got to keep those regular
teachers guessing. I have enjoyed the thread. ARTS
teach HOTS (higher order thinking skills)

Judy Decker