Re: Getting Outside Lesson Idea

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 05:45:58 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

How about some temporary Peace Totems?

The Peace Poles are being "planted" all across
America. These are simple 4"x4" posts with
translations of Peace on the four sides. I think they
are about 6 feet tall?

Anyways...How about designing your own Peace Totems
from wood - and wood scraps. Make it a lesson in
design and use several assemblage artists as examples.
Wood and steel (Louise Nevelson and David Smith are
two).

For a comtemporary example - look at the work of Doug
Cousins - Native American artist/sculptor.

Students could paint these with a cultural flair -
using motifs representing the make-up of your student
body. These would be temporary as they probably
wouldn't withstand years of weather. Save all of the
parts and build new ones the following year? Or
investigate ways to make them more permanent and just
repaint from time to time - with new patterns - new
symbols - new cultures. Several web sites have
translations for the word Peace.

Just a thought and it would be fun! Hmmm... I like
this idea. I just might write up a lesson plan for it
(in time...no promise)

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker