Re: artsy-fartsy

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 21:14:02 PDT

Too bad you don't teach at my school. I've had tremendous faculty
support (as I did at my previous school--how'd I get so lucky?). A
couple of teachers have even said, "We finally have a REAL art teacher."

Keep pluggin' away. As LaDonna says, it's just ignorance. I love the
way Woody turned it around:
> I regularly thanked the rest of the staff for their
> support of the arts. I explained that it was their function
> in the school. The arts need those other subjects to support
> what we teach in the art and music rooms. Why learn to
> read unless there is something of value to read about. Why
> learn to compute if not to assist in the creation of something
> of real value. Build up your reading and math teachers, they
> need a boost in self esteem.

Although, I would say that it's the OTHER subjects that need the arts.

Maggie

Kramer, Bunki [LC] wrote:
> Other faculty members saying
> stupid things like "artsy-fartsy". Rubs me raw. I generally say with
> a smile, "No, no. You mean "artsy-smartsy". Most times it stops the
> teacher dead in her tracks and makes her realize she's just insulted
> me and what I do. The fact that I even have to say it to my faculty
> friends rubs me.

---