RE: Getting outside

---------

From: Broadwater, Katherine (KBroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 19:33:58 PDT

I prepare (1 per student) old cardboard or discolored matboard into a 12"X 12" square frame...it looks just like a mat. I tell the students that we are going on a 12 inch hike. We go outside and sort of "fling" our frames onto the grass or in the woods, meadow etc. Then we do a detailed sketch of everything inside the frame. Most of the time the kids really peruse the area first before they toss their frames so they get a certain leaf, wildflower, stick or bug that is of special interest. This project can also be done by giving students a piece of string a yard long. The string is tied together at the end and the students can lay it down in any shape and do the drawing inside the natural shaped border. Both of these projects are ideal for observational drawing. It gets a little tricky when the students tie their string around a tree but I just let them draw the entire tree!
Have fun!
Kay Broadwater