artsy-fartsy

---------

From: Kramer, Bunki [LC] (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 07:55:14 PDT

From: Larry Seiler [mailto:lseiler@ez-net.com]
We need go no farther than many of our own faculty staffs! After all, we
all hear the union talk of solidarity and such and expected to throw our
support as well as dues in there...but you'll hear faculty during cut talks
muttering things about the unnecessity of the arts or infer it through the
undesputed importance of their "academic" department's survival and needs.

Aaaaah. This struck a nerve of mine. Other faculty members saying stupid things like "artsy-fartsy". Rubs me raw. I generally say with a smile, "No, no. You mean "artsy-smartsy". Most times it stops the teacher dead in her tracks and makes her realize she's just insulted me and what I do. The fact that I even have to say it to my faculty friends rubs me. It's a pat answer to a bigger problem. Toodles....Bunki

---