Re: Tough Times in Wisconsin!

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 05:20:17 PDT

I find it incredulous that in 2004 we still have to have these conversation=
s and nothing changes........20 years ago I taught in SC where it was =
important for every elementary school to have an art teacher to now being =
in an affluent district that says we support the arts but we will never =
have elementary instructors..............

but then we're preaching to the choir so to speak aren't we?!?!
Linda W. Kieling
- - - -

Thing is...we do not have to go far to attempt to educate to be honest, and
this is especially discouraging and disillusioning after all the years.

We need go no farther than many of our own faculty staffs! After all, we
all hear the union talk of solidarity and such and expected to throw our
support as well as dues in there...but you'll hear faculty during cut talks
muttering things about the unnecessity of the arts or infer it through the
undesputed importance of their "academic" department's survival and needs.

The state union here wants to push for raises next year...since we've not
seen them in perhaps about 5 or 6 years. Costs of health care going up and
such.

I'm supposed to get impassioned to support the state agenda and whatever our
local union opts to do as a group. Meanwhile our small rural district had
to cut $300,000 last year...is looking at $100,000 next. They are just
hoping that four teachers will retire this year.

On top of that my supply budget was cut $2600 this past year...and what???
We're suppose to push for raises?

Well...for those of us in the arts, we know this means if there is no hidden
money that's being held out on us...it will come at the expense of cutting
programs. So, I'm suppose to be excited to support my union whereas the
alleged solidarity will not give too hoots about my program cut to assure
their own raises! I guess I can expect a certain level of support packing
up my stuff and walking out the door. Imagine it will show up in the form
of weekly cash support at my mailbox? hahahaha....year right.

Least...that's how I think it happens in many places!

Larry S...

My websites-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/

Member of NAPPAP- "National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters"
http://nappap.org

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---