RE: Tough Times in Wisconsin!

---------

From: LINDA KIELING (kielingl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 17:22:33 PDT

no, as professionals we have to demand what we need for students in school, not just take whatever budget leftovers there are...and this is not "pie in the sky" wish lists, but what we NEED.....I continue to question any teacher (not just art) who doesn't advocate.........

.........years ago when large classes were the norm as you mentioned, the expectations for standardized testing, assessment, reporting, accountability, integration, benchmarks, standards, inclusion and on and on and on were not the norm........we could "just teach".........I believe I am a teacher with knowledge, skills, integrity.....but I am not naive enough to think that all of this combined with large classes doesn't affect student learning.........

I find it incredulous that in 2004 we still have to have these conversations and nothing changes........20 years ago I taught in SC where it was important for every elementary school to have an art teacher to now being in an affluent district that says we support the arts but we will never have elementary instructors..............

but then we're preaching to the choir so to speak aren't we?!?!

Linda W. Kieling
Art Educator
OAEA Youth Art Month Chair
Rosemont Ridge Middle School
20001 Salamo Road
West Linn, OR 97068
503.673.7591
503.657.8720 fax
www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/Artindex.htm

>>> KBroadwater@towson.edu 4/27/2004 4:11:48 PM >>>
This article http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr04/225001.asp <http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr04/225001.asp>
points to the absurdity of the situation. You couldn't make up a more unbelievable story. Where is the outcry from the arts community?
I, for one, would rather have larger class sizes in a school with the arts than smaller class sizes in a school without the arts. Studies have shown that years ago when large class size was the norm, children were actually learning and retaining more than they are today. I am certain that it is the power, knowledge, skills, and integrity of the individual teacher that determines learning. The arts are the heart of a school, without them we are left with a void that cannot be filled in any other way.
Kay Broadwater