RE: Tough Times in Wisconsin!

---------

From: Broadwater, Katherine (KBroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 16:11:48 PDT

This article http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr04/225001.asp <http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/apr04/225001.asp>
points to the absurdity of the situation. You couldn't make up a more unbelievable story. Where is the outcry from the arts community?
I, for one, would rather have larger class sizes in a school with the arts than smaller class sizes in a school without the arts. Studies have shown that years ago when large class size was the norm, children were actually learning and retaining more than they are today. I am certain that it is the power, knowledge, skills, and integrity of the individual teacher that determines learning. The arts are the heart of a school, without them we are left with a void that cannot be filled in any other way.
Kay Broadwater