Re: Tough Times in Wisconsin!

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 12:20:10 PDT

Although I'm not shocked to see additional layoffs in the Milwaukee Public
School System (MPS), it still is sad to hear. Prior to leaving the US to
teach overseas, I was an art teacher in MPS. When I left in Jun 2000, the
principal was already facing budget cutbacks and chose not to replace me.
From what I hear from my former colleagues, art and music have been
especially affected. I could have been one of those who lost their jobs! If
you know of teachers who had their positions cut, please encourage them to
consider teaching overseas - there is a demand - somewhat for art (at least
not as many openings this year), but especially for music. There is a
recruitment fair in June - I would be happy to provide more info to
interested people.

Melissa
Technology Facilitator,
American Cooperative School of Tunis
http://homepage.mac.com/melissaenderle/mali/pages/index.html

On 4/27/04 4:56 PM, "Larry Seiler" <lseiler@laona.k12.wi.us> wrote:

> Just reading this morning that due to budget problems in the Milwaukee
> Public Schools, 300 teacher positions are being cut for next year and
> local property taxes are going up 15.4% !!!

---