RE: Elements, Principles & Artists: I hope this helps!

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 10:08:04 PDT

Hi,

I know I am answering this late...I had a handout on how someone (don't
remember the author) defined the principles...it was a whole diagram of the
elements and principles...I think this is what it included:

elements:
line, shape, texture, color, and value

principles:
creation of space (how to create space: overlap, linear perspective, changes
in detail and value as objects recede, change in scale as objects
recede-foreground, middleground, and background are part of the vocabulary
here too as well as positive/negative space), movement, scale and
proportion, dominance, focal point, rhythm, repetition, variety, harmony,
balance (symmetry, assymmetry, radial), the most important is unity...that
is the overall goal to produce a sense of unity using these other
principles...

I know there are a few more principles I am missing...but this is close to a
complete list...

Jeanne