Tough Times in Wisconsin!

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 08:56:43 PDT

Just reading this morning that due to budget problems in the Milwaukee
Public Schools, 300 teacher positions are being cut for next year and
local property taxes are going up 15.4% !!!

Its gettn' tough.

Of course art and music are one of the first to go.

Oddly...there might be more security in smaller rural schools whose
local community realizes that to lose the school is to risk the town
becoming a ghost town. Such is where I am teaching K-12...

No one wants to move to a small community without a school to send their
kids...and the value of house properties depends upon the notion that
someone will always be interested in buying your home. So, if the
school goes under...it infers no one would be interested in moving to
the area and property values fall big time. That being the case...it
seems more sacrifices come of the community to keep their school.

Our music teacher cut from last year, moved down to take a position
teaching band in the Milwaukee area. Of course one assumes with the
larger population and bigger schools that there would be more security.
I'll have to get hold of him now and see if his job is in jeopardy.

Our school asked for voluntary lay offs for next year. At the same time
administrators told me I had nothing to worry as my position is
concerned. Will be interesting to see how things play out.

I might be finding myself back to painting full time again...and maybe
have to make that move more out west where there is more aesthetic
cultural accomdation for artists to make a living. Was thinking more
along those lines in retirement. Hopefully things will work out.
 Education needs to really find other ways to have its needs met.

Larry S.
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---