An artist for you to check out her work (surrealism, math/sciences, magic, and bones)

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 09:43:27 PDT

My favorite artist:

Remedios Varo contemporary of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo

My introduction to her was when I visited Diego Rivera's home in Mexico
City and saw her work in his collection. One piece I saw was her bone
sculpture and fell in love with it. It is not typical of her work but
it got me started. She is not so well known as her friend Frida but I
think that is because most of her work is in private collections. As
years pass I anticipate more of her work will be in museums and she
will be better know outside of Mexico.

Her last husband, who supported her painting, organized a show for her
work at the Women's museum in DC a few years ago and I went 3 weekends
in a row to sit with her work. They still have book and prints
available.
I will find that web site and post.

This is a site in Mexico
http://www.honmex.com/eros/varo/postcards.htm

This is just one website that has her work.
Type her name in your favorite search and see what exciting stuff comes
up.

A little history: Her father was an architect in Spain. As a child
she helped him with drawing his plans. Her mother put her into
Catholic school for young women which she did not like. To get away
from her strict mother she married an artist, lived among the
surrealists, Spoke out against Franko and was imprisoned. When she
was released she joined other exiled artists in Mexico City.
Eventually she married a wealthy man who set her up in a studio with
servants to support her so all she had to do was paint. She was
prolific under those circumstances and produced a vast number of
paintings in her short life. She experimented with some very toxic
materials and smoked while she worked. Massive heart attack at a too
young age. She did leave us with a huge collection of exciting work.

Let me know what you think. I couldn't find an image of her bone
sculptures on a site. It is in many of the books that are available.

Sharon ~ NJ

---