RE: Elements, Principles & Artists

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 05:26:40 PDT

thanks to everyone for their ideas - we have been reviewing vocabulary in
8th grade - getting ready for state testing... really can use the
space/distance wording -

I have been trying to keep up with all of the e-mails - but may have missed
this analogy -

I just ask them what the periodic table of elements is - also if I know
what they are working on in math, I may ask them to describe the members of
a set - and the function (elements and principles) - also use the music and
writing connection to elements and composition.

I haven't come across a periodic table for art elements yet (but I have for
food, condiments, wood, beer, haiku's for elements, presidents, fruit and
nuts, vegetables, elephants... well you get the idea)..... but did create an
interesting web for analyzing artwork. I usually asked the kids to describe
the colors, the line, the texture, shapes.... pretty linear in my thinking
(which is out of character), but almost a checklist - until I heard one kid
say something that made it clearer for me. Anyway - now we start by
identifying the focal point - and justify our reasoning by using the
principles - which leads to the elements. So I am working backwards.

Probably pretty obvious to most - but then again it took me 3 years of MS
Spanish, and 3 of high school Spanish to realize I didn't need to memorize
the ENTIRE tense of the regular verbs - just the endings.....

Ellen

---