Re: Elements, Principles & Artists

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 07:47:01 PDT

In a message dated 4/24/04 12:25:59 PM, aiheineman@prodigy.net writes:

>  I think it is important that the students know that they can use these
> tools of their time to express an idea which is uniquely theirs.  The fuel for
> these "motors" must come from the minds of the artists.

Excellent point...listen here to Peter London (NO MORE SECONDHAND ART,
Shambalah 1989 P. 9-17)

"For the primal image-maker, craft was in the service of power. The more
carefully wrought the object was, the more powerfully the object would serve as
an instrument of transformation and the more likely the gods would be inclined
to honor the supplication."

"Beauty was not the intended outcome. Beauty was a natural by-product of
craft diligently applied to serious things."

"...the root and full practice of the arts lies in the recognition that art
is power, an instrument of communion between the self and all that is
important, all that is sacred."

"The solutions to the problems posed in art do not lie outside in the realms
of technique and formula; they reside in the realm of fresh thinking about
perennial issues, in honest feelings and awakened spirit....All creative journeys
begin with a challenge to introspection, to fathom not only 'what's out
there,' but 'what's in here."

London's book is available in paperback on Amazon.com very inexpensively, and
is a great read. There is a lot of information there on "what is the point"
of all of the work we attempt to do.
regards,
Katherine Douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab