Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Elements, Principles & Artists: I hope this helps!

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 08:31:15 PDT

Space as a visual element is difficult to conceptualize and hard to
explain. Is it worth it? Who needs to know it?

I find it easier if we put some time into ways artists create an
Illusion of Space (depth) (a visual effect). I have added a category.

1. Visual Elements (the basic things that can be seen)
2. Design and Composition Principles (arranging the basic things better)
3. Visual Effects (ways to fool the eye - make an impression)

This is my illustrated attempt to show students these ideas.

As an artist, these are the principles that I actually use.