Elements and Principles - complete "new" list and analogies? (Nikki?)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 11:01:44 PDT

Thank you Ann for this: "symbolic meaning"

I haven't been paying close attention to this thread
this time (oops!). I sure am glad I read Ann's post. I
decided to update the file on IAD...I have all of the
analogies now that were in Ann's post from Karen,
Carolyn and Linda..What other ones did I miss? Who had
the ingredients of a recipe? and who had the
foundation of a house? Did anyone save all of them
(Nikki?)? AND did anyone save the "new principles? I
do have Ann Heineman's. I will add the "new" ones,
too. I know John had one - was his economy? to
simplify ("less is more" I guess).

I am always curious to see what John Buchanan has to
say. John is a recent graduate from art school and has
his own eBook now! Chapters look super - lots of great
information to teachers. John -if you see this -post
it again I have it saved but where to find it right
now?

This has been interesting...all 900 of us will not
agree on the ones to include - but we all agree they
are important to make good art.

This is the file I will update:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/elements2.htm

Thanks Nikki for bringing this up again...New stuff
has come from it this time around.

Cheers!

Judy Decker

--- Ann Heineman <aiheineman@prodigy.net> wrote:
> This is an interesting discussion! I'd like to
add "symbolic meaning" to the list of extended
principles. Without our knowing the
cultural/historical roots of a work of art, a
composition can still "work" aesthetically but it may
lack heart and soul because we don't know theartist's
cultural/historical background. The artists of
religious works of arts in the Renaissance, for
example, had a wealth of narratives and
symbols(compositions in triangular form to represent
the Holy Trinity for example) upon which to draw
inspiration. I think it is important that the
students know that they can use these tools of their
time to express an idea which is uniquely theirs. The
fuel for these "motors" must come from the minds of
the artists.