Re: Elements, Principles & Artists

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 09:28:41 PDT

   This is an interesting discussion! I'd like to add "symbolic meaning"
to the list of extended principles. Without our knowing the
cultural/historical roots of a work of art, a composition can still "work"
aesthetically but it may lack heart and soul because we don't know the
artist's cultural/historical background. The artists of religious works of
arts in the Renaissance, for example, had a wealth of narratives and symbols
(compositions in triangular form to represent the Holy Trinity for example)
upon which to draw inspiration. I think it is important that the students
know that they can use these tools of their time to express an idea which is
uniquely theirs. The fuel for these "motors" must come from the minds of
the artists.

                       Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                       Art teacher, K-5, retired

I refer to the elements as the "art parts"; the principles as the way to put
the parts together. My analogy to help many of the kids...it's like we have
all the parts to a motor, but if we don't know how or ways to put them
together, the motor won't run...

Sometimes I compare the elements of art to English...

it takes lines to create letters that become shapes, to create words,
etc....and then the way they are put together for sentences, phrases,
paragraphs, etc.
Carolyn

> I explain the elements as the basic building blocks of a piece of artwork and
the principles as the way in which the artist puts the elements together. I
often use the analogy of the foundation of a house and the framework. Linda
in NC