Re: USA culture

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 13:57:12 PDT

Yes John....This is a loaded question.

Do you want White Euro-American Culture
only?...African American Cultures? Hispanic American
Culture? Asian American Culture?

I have many links on my site. I am very weak though on
Asian American artists - but please do include them. I
have shared many contemporary Native Americans - I
would look at those too. I think I still have them on
Incredible Artists.

I have page on American Artists - one on African
American Artists - and a start of one for Hispanic
artists....

If you are looking for mainly patriotic type art - I
have a page started for that, too.

The first artists who came to my mind were Jasper
Johns (his flags ) -then the flp side -Faith Ringgold
and her very different flags, Grant Wood and Thomas
Hart Benton from their time periods - and Jacob
Lawrence from his. Wood, Benton and Lawrence all show
that postive work ethic we were talking about that is
missing today.

I Like what Blue Man Group is saying too about our
culture.

I have a list of artists in general too - - suggested
Shorewood print - some of those are American.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/artists.htm
Those were just suggestions to get a print collection
going.

I have a book that was so cheap you might want to pick
up - over 250 pages (over 125 images with description
and short biographical info)- nice color images - The
Essential History of Americn Art - only $4.99 - from
Waldenbook Store (maybe get two? one to cut up for
small prints). Good if you are only interested in
White America (no color except Frida and Rivera are
represented)- I have other books for the rest of
America....along with one big thick book from college.
Just goofing around here...Her is some great Afriacn
American Prints:
http://creativefolk.com/toolkit/artposters.html
This has some good references for African american
Lessons and more:
http://creativefolk.com/toolkit/art.html

Here is what Getty ArtsEdNetters said in the past:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Nov01/1106.html
If that link doesn't work - scroll down to Americn
Artists:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Nov01/index.html

Judy Decker

--- "Bueltel, John" <bueltelj@glenwood.k12.ia.us>