RE: Elements, Principles & Artists: I hope this helps!

---------

From: John Buchanan (author_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 06:11:30 PDT

Hi All,

Elements of design:

Line, shape, space, value, color, and texture are the basic elements that
are used to create a work of art (all works of art will use some or all of
the elements to varying degrees).

Principles of design:

Repetition, rhythm, emphasis, economy, proportion, and balance are achieved
as a result of the elements, thus bringing unity and cohesiveness.

To sum it up, the elements create the work of art and the principles enhance
the work of art (ideally they enhance).

Here's another summary: the elements are the basic building blocks and the
principles are how you arrange those basic building blocks together.

And the "artist" is one who creates and relates reality and unreality
together and presents the finished work for one self and others to consider.

I hope this helps.

In my book "Create Your Own Art School Success," I've devoted an entire
section to the elements and principles of design:
http://artschoolsuccess.com <http://artschoolsuccess.com/>

John D Buchanan

http://artschoolsuccess.com <http://artschoolsuccess.com/>

317-753-4257