Re: teacher appreciation ideas- Nnaell- Jeannie

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 09:11:36 PDT

Dear Jeannie and Nnaell,

> Just in reply to this...

> I chose to be a member of our teacher moral booster
> committee.

Me too! Gosh we ARE sisters! Our staff got tired of
the yucko gifts our administration picked out for us -
what a waste of MONEY! Most of us just gave them away.
My goofy pencil holder went right to the Needy Family
gift collection. I am sorry - but there was no thought
at all put into the "gifts" that were selected for
us....So we too formed a committee and I was on
it..... I wish I had thought of this one!

Students make some easy leaf impression ceramic bowls
- just a single leaf is OK (leaves from the trees
around the school)- more will be fine. These can be
done so quickly and in my building two classes of kids
could get them done in one 40 minute period each and
underglazed/glazed a couple days later...easy and
BEAUTIFUL! They would be gifted to the teachers with
all of those meaningful candy treats inside that I
sent to you (OR left on their desk to be filled each
day with a different treat by the Morale elves). The
ART department would get the $$ for the bowls...and
the bowls would be treasured as the kid who made them
would sign them...THIS is service learning - this is
what real artists do- this is a commission to make
art! The only payment the kids need are the big smiles
and thank yous. Jeannie - see if they are game to try
this idea next year? Not enough time now. A good age
to do these bowls are 6th graders -- but even K's can
do them with help from you or parents. My 6th graders
taught Ks how to do them.

BTW - my sixth graders were pleased as punch to be
selected to make all of the teacher appreciation
stockings for my building. I made a lesson out of it.
Just took two classes of 6th graders - and we got them
done for 70 staff members in one class period each.
Not a waste of time at all. They were used for years
with just new ones made for new staff members. It was
easy to revise the old ones...very little work.
Art club took care of the new ones - very easy -- very
quickly. Positive Attitudes Work and it starts with
the teacher.

I love it when the wheels turn...turning in a good
way! Thanks Jeannie for bringing up this topic.
Hip-hip hooray! Put me on your list to send all the
ideas.
Teachers will value what was made by kids...That is a
good place to get them to Value your program as well.
Many teachers (and students) bought bowls my students
made to benefit the West Ohio Food bank and paid as
high as $10,00 each or them -- these simple leaf bowls
that were so easy to make.

Ooops! long again - excuse me (smile).

Judy Decker

=====