Mikel and all - work ethic - and value

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 08:12:13 PDT

Greetings Mikel,

Work ethic and valuing art go hand in hand... We do
need them to VALUE art....I have been working on that
for years. I have been talking with artists on ways we
can get folks to buy more art....and they like my
ides.

I know it is a big problem and it may get worse. I had
a long "conversation" about this with Linda today.
"Work ethic" is learned....and the kids today are not
learning the same messages we learned. My hubby went
back to college recently and is now teaching to try to
make difference in kids....He went to school with some
very lazy young people who will get jobs and be very
lazy teachers... You are right it is time for the
pendulum to swing back...Kids NEED to LEARN a Positive
Work Ethic...We can no longer call it that other "P"
word from the past that some of us grew up with. I
even found one site that called it the "C" Work Ethic
and that did bothered me...as we all should have a
positive work ethic not just the "C's".

We do have "short cuts" today -- but let us use those
to our advantage.

I am so glad this discussion took off. The turn around
has to start somewhere. I have a lot of ideas on how
to use Mona Bucks for this with middle school kids -
that will NOT cost you a lot of $$ and will not
interrupt your teaching. I will only post them if
there is an interest. No M and Ms to keep track of or
marbles in a jar...and you can have so much fun with
them at little expense...and only deal with candy
wrappers one day (if that is what you chose to let
them buy). I even had the kids use them to buy my time
(working after school with me cost them Mona Bucks).
Pencils cost Mona Bucks if they had them - or a could
cost a minor misconduct if they didn't.

Still rambling on one of my passions...

Judy Decker