NAEA (was, Ken Schwab's Handouts

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 21:26:45 PDT

Those of you who didn't get to see Ken's presentation on mixed media,
nor participate in his embossing workshop really missed out. His
students' body of work is extraordinary, and his lessons are
outstanding. I got plenty of great ideas to use with my middle school
school students. And I think I FINALLY understand the embossing
procedure (no small feat).

Susan-on-Long-Island (artnsoul) impressed everyone with her initiative
at coordinating the production of a mural by both her own students and
those in the Japanese town where she was a Fulbright participant. She
has received many accolades for her work, as well as the honor of having
a reproduction of the mural requested for display at the White House.

Rosie Riordan (Rosikins) gave a spirited presentation on making and
using visual journals; I loved her design so much I will use it with my
students next year.

Ann Ayers, an occasional contributer, and her colleague Ellen McMillan
gave four presentations: sculptural books (a perennial favorite of the
participants); paper processes (paper decorating techniques); "bodacious
boxes" (box design and enhancing); and how she developed a database for
writing art lesson plans.

I got some ideas to use from Nancy Walkup's talk on integrating math and
art. Math is not just my weak subject, it's a non-subject, but now I
think I can at least fake some integration thanks to her.

I missed Woody's presentation, and I'm sure there are others from the
list, but I'm brain-dead from all the sensory overload and butt-dead
from all that sitting. I'm sure others will jump in and give you their
two cents' worth as well. BTW, Sharon bid on, and won, one of Woody's
original watercolors of poppies. If you think his work looks great on
his Web site, you should see it in person.

We had a nice breakfast Saturday morning and were able to add a few more
faces to go with the names. Binney and Smith's big opening bash the
night before was great fun, as usual; it was at the Denver Fillmore,
with a 60s theme and a live band. Ken regaled us with his fond memories
of the SF Fillmore.

Hope you all can attend NAEA Boston next year. I've already got some
presentations up my sleeve for that one.

Maggie

Judith Decker wrote:
> Dear ArtsEdNetters,
>
> Ken Schwab's NAEA Handouts- Mixed Media Lessons and
> Embossed Printing without a press will be on
> Incredible Art Department for the rest of this week
> only:
> Mixed Media Lesson:
> http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/kenmm.doc
> Embossed Print: