Re: work ethic thread - Linda and all who replied

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 12:46:53 PDT

Greetings Linda and all,

Thank you for bringing one of my topics on to Getty
list (Ken inspired this topic - but Ken and I "solved"
his concern). Linda, you - Patty Knott and I will all
write a book (smile)....Will anyone read it? Maybe
not..."our ideas" have already been written and the
people who need them often do not pay attention to
them...Pam Stephens can give you the research and the
names who have written those books...I can give you
another. She is in the process of writing one for
middle school kids right now and I HOPE she is
listening to all that we say.

I have had a lot of good stuff to say on this topic.
Work ethic is not a topic you have seen me complain
about at all. It all starts with having high
expectations for you students....AND having reasonable
expectations as well..YOU have to KNOW your students.
First, find what "talents" your students do have and
develop THEIR talents. We do not all have the same
"talents" to give to the world...nor do we all have
the same style or view of aesthetics.

I do believe I was an excellent middle school
teacher...and that works for me.

Hats off you you Linda - I am saving YOUR words of
wisdom for my book -- don't worry I am not selling
it....I will make no profit.

Patty Knott is in my book too. No names are used
except for meaning of names. I do not have a working
title for the chapter on how to motivate students but
I will.

Thanks for a good ramble today.

Cheers!

Judy Decker