RE: perspective lessons

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 04:57:33 PDT

Just finished one that I was about ready to pull out my hair and then Ta-Da -- they finished it and it looks great! I only have a few finished, so will send pics and lesson plans soon. I showed 5th grade the very basics on Greek columns and architecture, they toook notes in sketchbook. Previous day we did 1pt. perspective with their name in block letters, kindergarten house (square under triangle) and a few other shapes. Then I asked the kids to create their own temple with columns of their choice. They drew the front, off to one side. Then we did the 1 pt perspective, to make the temple go back in space. Columns were added along the side. This is what took forever. Oops - this is on colored construction paper. Then the horizon line was put in. The kids colored the temples in grey and white oil pastel, which blended with the pencil - an interesting surprise. Next they colored in the ground - nothing too fancy - grass, rocks, etc. Then we did the ripped paper and rubbing the oil pastel down from the edge of the rip onto the temple paper to create a few rows of mountains behind the temple. Last, they could do whatever with the sky. Drawing the temple took 3 hours, coloring 1 ! They look great and was begun as the kids were studying the Greeks and Romans.
Jan