Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Grace Hall's Art for the Troops idea

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 18:46:52 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

(Grace "jump in" if you have more to add to this. I
tried to give the "short" of it)

Grace Hall is doing art for the troops from her
community. If any one is interested in her project now
and would like our "conversations" so far - I will be
happy to forward it to you off list (the long
versions). Lesson plan for this will come AFTER Grace
is finished. She is thinking about 5 x 7 inch
laminated art - with a brief message or poem on back -
and maybe a digital picture of the student along with
school address printed right on the card. Students
could even write their message on computer and print
it off on half sheet tag board. Most printers now will
accept tag board.

You could get two post cards on one sheet (8 1/2 x 11
size)...then cut them down to your desired size of 5 x
7 and do the art on the front. Add a personal
handwritten note - address to soldier then laminate
(or laminate and add an address label) Check with post
office about amount of postage - or local Army
reserves about sending them.

For an idea for art see:
Franck Duval Collages
I do not know French - but click around - I haven't
found a naughty image
yet - click the folders at the left too.
Reverso will translate to English:

Or this page:
Barbara Kruger- Links are on my site:

Altered book sites may also serve as inspiration for
the art work. Maybe even some of our sites with
inspirational quotes.

For some student examples see Grace's Found Art:
Artsonia site - Bogalusa High School

Hope this idea will catch on and more will try. I
would like one digital image from each school -- along
with your name - and school name - for the lesson page
(no student names - but I will put poems if you want
to send those - with student initials)

For all who have submitted lessons/ideas/photos that
are not on the site yet..I am working on them. As you
can see - I am still working on getting new lessons
for all of you to explore next year. My updates will
all be done over the summer if I don't get them done
before then.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources