Re: Mtn. drive (closer to Denver) more stories

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 15:02:33 PDT

  I remember correctly Colorado Springs, Denver and Cripple Creek form a
triangle. I need to get out my maps and review. I would seriously
check with local advice before I would green horn up & out the dirt
roads at this time of year. You could end up paying big money for
someone to come up to bring you back down. There is plenty to see on
the civilized roads.

My grandfather took me up the Cripple Creek road that had been the
narrow gauge railroad. He pointed out places and told me about the
problems that happened there in constructing the road. I said,
"Grandaddy. I didn't see any of this information in the books. Where
did you read this information?" " I was the foreman on the crew that
built this railroad." I was very impressed. He told some hair raising
stories especially about dynamite and tunnels. Last summer I wanted to
take my husband up the same road and tell him the same stories but I
was told it would take an experienced driver in a serious vehicle and
even with that since it has not being maintained there were parts of
the road that were not passable. There are OK roads to Cripple Creek.
We went the safe route.

My parents were like Donald's. Always exploring off into the dirt
roads. A few times we wound up farther that we thought and when dark
comes in the mountains it is immediate and complete! We explored but
in the dark who knows where we went. Folks would ask us where we went
today and we had to say, "We have no clue!" Once we rounded a curve
and the road just ended at a huge rock. no where to turn around so we
had to back up for miles until we came to a place wide enough to turn
the big old Hudson around.

Donald I did have a bear experience. A BIG BEAR experience. My
friends and I went up the mountain to picnic at Manitou Springs. We
came down after dark and no one had remembered the flashlights. Arm to
shoulder, arm to shoulder, we worked our way down the narrow trail with
straight cliffs down the edge in many places. We climbed this often so
we knew the way but it is tricky finding the trail across gravel
slides. One of the guys thought it was fun to jump out from the bushes
where the trail widened and wave his arms and roar like a Grizzly. We
got tired of that and sent him to the rear of the line to behave
himself. We came around a curve and there he was roaring and waving
again. From the light from a few campfires way down the mountain we
could barely see he was much too big and then he called out from the
back, "I'm back here!" You never saw kids scramble up trees so fast.
Big old Griz took his sweet time walking up that path and reminding us
every step or two who's territory it was! We really didn't know what
kind of bear it was but it stood at least 6'6"

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 02:35 PM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> I agree completely about Georgetown, it's more than
> worth the visit. I love Cripple Creek too, but it is above
> Colorado Springs, not Denver.
> Woody in KC
> Donald Peters wrote:
>> If you take the highway west out of Denver it will take you to a
>> little town
>> not to far up called Georgetown, CO. I cannot express how beautiful
>> this
>> little town is. Lots of galleries and a haunted cafe (the Full Circle)
>> that's been featured on many 'haunted' television shows.

---