(AEN) Virus info from a Tech Ed Pro (and email blocks)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 13:33:33 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

Yesterday I was frustrated with the continual flood of
Virus emails I am getting (and bounced emails I never
sent - mainly from schools and universities). Road
Runner has pretty good filtering software now so
attachments are removed - they are just annoying as
all get out. I am now affectionately calling them all
the "JDecker Virus" LOL (don't you dare put that as a
subject heading though for Google to find)...cause I
get them from all sorts of bogus Jdecker accounts. I
must have a ton of relatives out there (tee-hee).
Don't know who has unleashed this new flood - but
there are many new subject lines - all the more reason
to make your subject lines clear. I will ALWAYS put
your name in a personal email to you. I will try to
remember to put (AEN) in all list posts....

This is what Jeff sent to me:

Judy,

There is literally nothing you can do, except continue
to maintain your anti-virus software so you don't
perpetuate the problem. Unfortunately, it only takes
an occasional non-vigilant user to unleash a new wave
of bogus messages.

On the institutional level, spam filters are getting
better and now seem to be on everyone's list of new
technologies to purchase. Some email systems have
tools that allow certain file types to be "stripped"
off emails - there's no reason for any attachment with
an extension of .pif, .exe, .scr, .com, etc.) to go
thorough.

You can change your email addresses frequently but
that will only help in the short term - once that
address is in someone's address book, it can become
part of the problem.

Jeff - rest of his name left off on purpose (I did
tell him I was sharing his words of wisdom)
---------------------------------------

Back to Judy...Folks I know some of your school
systems are set up to bounce my Road Runner address -
but from now on if I get bounced - it just wasn't
meant to be for me to talk to you that day ...and that
works for me...If Road Runner bounces you? I can get
you unblocked but it takes a couple days. Road Runner
has a mind of its own...I have never blocked any list
member. You may use either address of mine to contact
me...Just let me know if you plan to send files to
Yahoo... My mailbox fills up quickly and mail will
bounce. I don't want to lose my Getty connection right
now. My Yahoo address has been added to my signature.
I get four list serves on this address now.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker
jdecker4art@yahoo.com