Re: Mtn. drive (closer to Denver)

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 11:19:21 PDT

If you take the highway west out of Denver it will take you to a little town
not to far up called Georgetown, CO. I cannot express how beautiful this
little town is. Lots of galleries and a haunted cafe (the Full Circle)
that's been featured on many 'haunted' television shows.

My wife and I eloped and got married in Georgetown. If you are feeling
adventurous you can see how far up you can get on Guinella Pass... it
probably isn't fully clear yet, but it might be. Dirt roads and sharp drops
but BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL views. My parents always took me camping
up there in the summer and you had to watch out for bears. Never saw a bear,
but our camp was regularly raided by chimpmunks and raccoons. Lots of elk
and bighorn sheep in this area as well. In the fall they are right along
side the roads from Denver to Georgetown.

http://www.town.georgetown.co.us/

if you're feeling REALLY adventurous you could try the dirt trail from just
up above Denver to Cripple Creek, CO. Great views, bad road. If you're
feeling REALLY REALLY REALLY adventerous you'll let my dad drive. =P

Other great things that I can think of in and around Denver... they have a
nice art museum
http://www.denverartmuseum.org/
and if you like books, no trip to Denver is complete without a visit to the
Tattered Cover.
http://www.tatteredcover.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp
4 stories of book store...and lots of little unique shops within walking
distance.
The Denver Zoo is also a worthy stop, although the Colorado Springs Zoo is
better.

If you go to Colorado Springs, drive ALL the way through to the west to get
to Manitou Springs. Lots of little galleries and unique shops.

If you like to hike, their are a lot of great hiking trails that are not to
far. The best (imo) is one that leads up to a glacier...can't remember the
name of it.....
http://www.nps.gov/glac/ you can drive it too if you've got a GOOD 4 wheel
drive with a lift kit...

a lot of old logging roads in the area too that go back to some beautiful
remote areas.... beaver dams, bears, bighorn sheep, elk...

Ok, I could go on and on... can you tell our family summer vacation was
spent staying in a cheap motel in Manitou Springs and wandering the
mountains? I'd loooove to live in that area. and even though we lived in
Nebraska I can't remember ever getting elevation sickness.. car sick yes...
elevation sickness, no. and I have really really bad asthma as well.

oooo... and if you go to Manitou Springs there's a great little bbq hole..
ugly place, great food.

ok, ok... I'll stop... really. lol

Donald Peters

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp

---