Re: Mtn. drive/altitude

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 05:33:02 PDT

I am just the opposite. Great in high altitude. Have a hard time
breathing in low altitude. So where do I live??? Just a few miles from
the Jersey shore! Once I went with friends to Mexico City and from
there up the mountains. I was climbing up rocks and running up the
steep steps on the ruins while my friends were gasping for breath. We
took a plane to Oaxaca and on near sea level. They were breathing fine
and I felt like I had a stone on my lungs and I had gained 50 lbs.

All this is to say if you want to drive toward Pikes Peak I am not
bothered by the high altitude and I have driven from Denver to the peak
before. It would be a nice outing to drive down to Garden of the Gods
and get good photos of the garden and the Peak. It usually doesn't
take long to get used to the thin air.

Breathing from the abdomen like a musician helps as well.

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 12:54 AM, Maggie White wrote:

> Ralph and Gretchen wrote:
>> Linda,
>> I always got hit with altitude sickness right away. Maybe I'm a
>> wimp. It is worse if you exert yourself, stand up too fast, or stay
>> overnight (because it always gives me insomnia). Some people are
>> affected even more seriously. I've read that you can take vitamin E
>> regularly before you travel to help with it.
> Chewing coca leaves works, too.
> Maggie, being helpful

---