Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Youth Art Month ?s

From: LINDA KIELING (kielingl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 13 2004 - 13:37:08 PDT

Hi all,

This may have been discussed before, but as a newbie who is very
interested in this , I feel the need to pose the following comments

I believe advocacy is part of our job as good art educators....even if
 it's not in our job description when hired! If we aren't promoting
programs and the benefits for students who do we think will?

Now, we all KNOW that great things happen for kids in art throughout
 the whole year, but Youth Art Month (March) is a time to celebrate
 showcase those things......which brings me to my ?s:

 1. Do you participate in your state's Youth Art Month (YAM)

 2. If yes, what kinds of things do you do to acknowledge YAM? (put up
 YAM bulletin board, make announcements at school, hold an art show,

 3. If no, why not? (what keeps you from being an advocate, what would
help you, etc)

4. Do you have any suggestions for this art education advocacy

 Many thanks in advance for ideas, comments and suggestion.
 Keep up the amazing work!
 Creatively, Linda

Linda W. Kieling
Art Educator