Re: tissue paper mache + Chihuly

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 11:35:34 PDT

Hillmer, Jan wrote:
> A Chihuly exhibit is in town, and I'm wondering about the feasibility
> of making some sort of bowl shape using just Ross' Art Paste and tissue
> paper. That way, I'm thinking we'd get a glow similar to glass. Anybody
> got ideas or suggestions? These kids need a 3-d project and we've
> already done clay.

Jan,

You already got a lot of great suggestions; I'm somewhat tardy with my
two cents due to houseguests and spring break fun.

This lesson sounds really cool. Instead of the Ross, I would try liquid
starch. It dries clear and makes a very hard shell. I'll bet you could
get away with a single layer or two of tissue. I like Ross for some
things, but it doesn't make a hard shell like the starch does.

Please let us know how it works, and what you used for an armature.

Maggie

---