Fashion Design

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 10:56:37 PDT

Dear Judi J.,

I also have been interested in doing a project based on fashion design
but have not done so. Not sure how to get enough appropriate
information for my middle school guys and keep the "steam up" on the
design process. I mentioned it to my 8th grade, their eyes got a little
glazed over and instead we moved on to their Spring independent project
with fashions as one of their options.

I thought about having them take two white t-shirts and altering them to
make a.

    a. In the style of historical period costume. i.e. Egyptian, Greek,
Renaissance or Victorian. After having them research the period.
    b. In the style of a current designer, spring 2004 fashion, evening
ware. I worry about them researching this on the web. Lots of see
through and low cut blouses this year.

There was just recently a strand on one of my list about design clothes
for paper dolls. The use of a paper doll figure of a current music or
film star and then designing a special occasion dress using collage
materials. I just did a google search on paper dolls got a lot of hits
but not necessarily the one I was talking about. Will look more if you
are interested.

Anyway interested in how this turn out for you. Have fun at the National.

Ellen Silverman
K-8
New Brunswick, NJ

---