Re: Special Needs kids

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 13:02:40 PDT

I wholeheartedly agree with you Patti. Some of my special needs kids are just my pride and joy. I've had aides who have wanted to do the work for them, one right now is a little like that, but I've also had aides who slept through the class and I had to wake them up and ask them to leave. There are so many strengths with special needs kids and their accomplishments should be valued. I definitely believe that working with processes are also accomplishments. My problem is that I am overloaded with special ed as well as regular ed and now feel guilty - my loaded classes are 17 special ed out of a class of 27. My aide and I just can't keep up, as hard as we try.
One funny note............one girl that I have that is schizophrenic told me last week that one of the voices in her head really liked my artwork. Now, I don't know what that says about me, but you can come to your own conclusions.

Jancy :)

P.S. I found out today I was voted Outstanding Art Teacher for central Ohio.........now I just need to analyze what I'm actually doing right! lol.