Re: Gail - special needs classes

---------

From: sandra summers-barrick (tamayo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 16:26:14 PDT

This is a wide range but doable and don't be intimidated by their
handicaps. Most if not all want to be independent and do things on their
own. They are a very determined group as a whole. Last year I worked
with deaf children 3-11. A few had other disabilities as well, learning
disorders rare skin diseases (where the fingers were just little nubs
and the child actually would bleed and blister if touched or from his
own clothes. I also had a special needs child who had a rare form of
dwarfism. Besides their disabilities yo will be amazed by their spirit
and the more severe the handicap the more chances and independence they
may want. I also worked for (HC) MRDD,which is the division for our
special needs kids, the age was 3-21. Through MRDD I came in contact
with severely handicapped and they really couldn't do anything but lay
and look. The most severe had aids but also mentally were no older than
a 3 -6 month old. Definitely get catalogs for supplies, I have them
somewhere. If you come in contact with their caretaker/parent ask then
what their interests are and if they have any supplies they could keep
their. I am not sure how large you class will be but the child I had who
didn't not have fingers had his own supply box, all of them did but his
had scissors for his hands and rcrayons which had knobs on the end, etc.
I also did a lot of sensory material/lessons with them for fine motor.
Coming from Montessori- the punching tools and exercises really helped
them.

Sandra

---