RE: Special Needs kids

---------

From: Freeland, Sue (freelas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 07:56:06 PDT

Gail, some ideas off the top of my head...
 clay project? The tactile feel of the clay might be good for dexterity.
Model magic...create an animal, blend clays to create new colors.

Read them a story then draw the ending or their favorite part.
Give them shapes & pieces of stuff(whatever)to glue down in a pattern or face or whatever.

With Kinders I took a large sheet of yellow paper and cut a hole in the top to represent the window on a bus, the kids colored their self portraits and I taped them in the window. All the yellow papers side by side made up the bus.

Also a good one is printing in shaving cream or pudding if you think they may eat it. Shaving cream is loved by all, even High school and leaves my counters and tables very clean!

I used to teach Autistic kids but they were very low functioning...I'll try and dig up some of their projects.
 Hope this helps,
Sue