Re: grog + clay and another question about clay

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 15:05:16 PDT

Hi Jan, You don't need to add grog. Right out of the bag is fine. You
can buy different kinds of clay--some fairly rough (lots of grog already
added) and some super smooth. Depends on your preferences. You may
have been adding grog (could be sand, could be ground up fired pots
etc.) to your pieces in high school because you were going to raku them
and you wanted to be able to take more of a temperature shock without
breaking. I always just make a nail hole if the piece is to be hanged.
I guess most of our work is free standing. Sid

>>> hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org 04/05/2004 10:31:13 AM >>>
Being pretty new to working with clay, I have a few questions about
grog - What is it, why do you use it, how much, does it change the
firing temp? etc. I work with El. kids if it makes a difference. We
have just been using clay straight out of the bag, but I remember
wedging grog into the clay in HS.

How do you hang your projects - what type of hanging device do you
use/create? I usually just poke a hole at the top for a nail or small
piece of leather knotted together. Another teacher I know makes little
button like pieces of clay,slightly flattened, with a horizontal
depression (side of a pencil), She fires these buttons along with the
project , and attaches them with E600 after firing. The depression
forms a tunnel through which you can thread a string fof hanging. Is
there some way to make a hanging device on the back, with clay, before
firing? What about some type of bent wire?

Thanks

Jan

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu