Re: need some advice please: subject graffiti

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 12:18:50 PDT

I think you should run down elements and principles and see what would
help. Certainly you need to talk about color and the symbolism of
color. They need to know about contrast and what they can do to make
their work stand out from the background. You could talk about
calligraphy principles--esp. Old English. You could also help them with
some 1 or 2 point perspective to give their writing depth. You might
look at a video by Keith Haring. I'm not sure how you're going to
handle inappropriate stuff---that's usually at the core of graffitti.
Sid

>>> johns392@usfamily.net 04/01/2004 10:30:38 PM >>>
I have just be summoned to a high school social studies class....for
one or
two periods to work with them on ideas for graffiti. I don't know
these
kids...and it isn't an art class..... My task is to help them come up
with
visually strong ideas for graffiti that they will actually paint onto
desks. It is this coming Monday and Tuesday...I just found out
today. This teacher got a grant to do this...and it is a very cool
idea...and I would like to help them be successful.

Any hints, clues about what information to give them in 30 minutes
about
graffiti design would be welcome. If you have done this before...you
know
more of the pitfalls than I do.....the teacher is dealing with the
paint
issues.... [though if you know something there that would be helpful
also]so I am mostly interested in how to help them with ideas,
layout...etc. Perhaps some rough criteria....? I greatly appreciate
any
tips! lia

------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo!
------