grog + clay and another question about clay

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 10:31:13 PDT

Being pretty new to working with clay, I have a few questions about grog - What is it, why do you use it, how much, does it change the firing temp? etc. I work with El. kids if it makes a difference. We have just been using clay straight out of the bag, but I remember wedging grog into the clay in HS.

How do you hang your projects - what type of hanging device do you use/create? I usually just poke a hole at the top for a nail or small piece of leather knotted together. Another teacher I know makes little button like pieces of clay,slightly flattened, with a horizontal depression (side of a pencil), She fires these buttons along with the project , and attaches them with E600 after firing. The depression forms a tunnel through which you can thread a string fof hanging. Is there some way to make a hanging device on the back, with clay, before firing? What about some type of bent wire?

Thanks

Jan

---