Re: Writing about misbehavior

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 06:56:52 PDT

Justin....and all,

I have been thinking about your post....I haven't had
time to read the others yet. Writing about the
misbehavior is/was my way of dealing with things. The
only time I took materials away from kids is when we
did clay...I took clay away when they threw it....and
each time I had a "martyr" - one boy who took the
punishment for all the boys (girls too at times).
Usually only ONE would admit at the time. The others
would admit to it the NEXT trimester....and I would
always say "Did you thank so and so? (name of kid) Do
it -- because I will ask him if you did" I needed to
do a punishment that made the kids feel just a tad bit
"guilty"....I found out such wonderful things about
kids and why they misbehaved and who and what
triggered it when I had them write in "their own
words". If they didn't want to write in "their own
words" - I had the writing assignment they had to copy
(and I highlighted the parts that were most important
for them). The "clay martyrs" never gave up anyone
else. I was lucky and only had three or four in 12
years....BUT each time it gave me a chance to tell
what a martyr is/was. Clay was the "good earth" and I
demanded respect for the earth.
That was the one medium I went out of my way for each
child to complete. I have good stories.... I have
posted some of them before. Oh and I have a real
horror story about what happened when the office
wouldn't let me punish one kid (his mom wouldn't
punsih him either)....I don't think I will write about
that one. He is in jail now anyways...so I guess he is
getting "punished" now...He did NOT live his name at
all!

Folks I have been "naughty" again in my posts.... I
write about my misbehaviors all the time. My art is
all about religion....I should take more
pictures...and just give you the option of being
offended by reading my stories about them.

Marvelous Monday. "Feed your Fish" (Fish - means
wisdom and knowledge).

Judy Decker

P.S. "in their own words" Chuckling now because of a
George Carlin gig. No one has ownership to
words....they are everyone's words who speak the
language. He did a short routine using "his own words"
and just his expressions to go with them was such a
hoot! I had fun looking up George Carlin's naughty
words in my Encarta Dictionary