Re: Student proposals

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 13:48:31 PDT

I never taught High School but I felt it was important for my 4 to 8 gr
students to do independent work. I required them to develop contracts
with a proposal, materials request from me & list of materials they
would provide (very specific with sizes, amounts etc.), home/community
work and research, and a rubric for assessing progress. In addition
they needed to included a coach to review and write response to any
work outside of the art room and support the work done in the
classroom. I sent a brief guideline for the coach so they had an
understanding of the work. I accepted any responsible person in high
school older because couldn't assume parents were available. Not
supposed to be a chore for anyone so what ever they could make work was
encouraged. Some produced volumes and some were limited but what ever
the case when we reviewed the rubric I sent them back to stretch
themselves once again.

Sharon ~ NJ

On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 11:09 PM, MarshArt1@aol.com wrote:
> I would like them to have a little more focus as to what they want to
> do. I thought the idea of a proposal, as they do in arts colleges in
> the senior year, would be an option. I want them to develop skills in
> content. Most of these kids have experience in most mediums because
> they must take 4 semesters of art before they can get into the
> Independent Studio Class.
>
> Has anyone done this? Did you have a form our outline for them to
> follow?
> How did you present it? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Marsha

---