ART ADVOCACY! Some Meaningful Discussion

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 08:48:34 PST

Greetings from SUNNY Lima!

Hope the sun is shining in Sedona today (grin).

Dear ArtsEducator's,

"In Kleined2Blue" brought up some real thinking on Art
Education list....Which made me remember one of our
goals for 2004.... Art Advocacy 2004!
How are we doing? Are we working to make what we do
important? How are we doing what we say we are doing?
Do YOU believe Art is the most important subject in
school and do you show that in the way you work with
students? Do they see teaching art as "your job" or a
"passion".

"The arts are a critical and essential part
of the education of every young person in America."

"QUALITY art education belongs in every school." -
YES!!! This is what we need to discuss....What really
IS quality art education?

We will be throwing out lots of ideas on this....all
letters of the alphabet. More chapters of MY BOOK to
help you do it YOUR WAY.

I am DBAE - I am TAB Choice (formerly Individualized
Instruction) - I am VCAE - I am Brain Based - I am
Multicultural - I am Interdisciplinary. I will be
discussing how I came to be all of these without doing
any "research". I hate research as much as you do. It
will be up to YOU to do your homework and see if what
I say is right (smiles). One way doesn't work for all
teachers and one way of teaching doesn't work for all
kids. Some kids need one style of teaching while
others need another. It is up to YOU to decide what
works with your kids. If you want to see what my style
looks like in action - See Linda Woods web site. I no
longer have enough work on my site for you to get a
picture. Yes kids thought I was a "cool"
teacher....and yes they though I was "crazy in a good
way"....and yes they liked that I was "different".
Middle school kids really need different teachers in
art -and YOU can be that difference. My art teacher
worked for me! and I am gald she was different! My
language arts teacher was a "bad witch".

Thanks Pam for the Art Train post! I will check it
out! Big smiles to YOU! Let's all "get on board!" the
Art Train.

Judy Decker