Re: tissue paper mache + Chihuly

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 09:28:57 PST

Hi Kathy,
    I have done the yarn in wheat past, draped over balloons project very
successfuly with my elementary kids--messy but fun. If you have access to
Japanese rice paper scraps, though, they will make a beautiful translucent
globe (or whatever forms the balloons may take.) This paper may be stronger
than tissue for the use that you intend. Tissue and colored string/yarn can
be added for color. One tip...have the kids prop the balloons on cottage
cheese type continers as they work and watch for sudden unbalancing of the
balloon. If one side gets too heavy with wet materials, the balloon will
take on a life of its own!

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                    Art teacher, K-5, retired

PS The Dale Chihuly glass exhibit has been extended to July 4 at the
Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus, Ohio. It's a great show!!!