Critiques from another grade level

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 05:28:47 PST

I need the list's opinions about this. Have any of you done this before?

My last period of the day is 35 8th graders. Our school just finished five
days of mandatory testing, and each day of testing has been more difficult
to keep the kids on task, motivated and interested in their acrylic
paintings. I had several on Wednesday proclaim they were "finished." With
35, I couldn't accomplish individual suggestions (I could barely keep them
from throwing paint!) and I was feeling way stressed.

So yesterday morning I devised a critique form on craftsmanship, with
several questions. I had my two sixth grade classes pick one painting per
student, they got a form and completed it. Most of the questions asked for
ideas from the sixth graders, too. During my lunch and planning break, I
reviewed the remarks, and for the most part, they were right on target.

When the eighth graders came in, they were initially stung. But the
majority of the class rallied, and wrote their responses (what are you
going to do to address the criticism? ). They then proceeded to paint.

The only exception I had to thsi situation was one boy--very intelligent,
very impulsive--who rejected the criticism out of hand and proceeded to
ruin his painting.

So, my questions are: do you think this appropriate? can you offer
suggestions for another way of communicating ideas for improvement?

One day til spring break!

Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---