Re: FDR Murals in Schools

---------

From: Dale (dtsafdie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 03:17:28 PST

Our school was built at that time but does not have a mural in it (unless it
was painted over). I want to do a theme next year focusing on our school's
history to celebrate returning to our school building. We have been away
from the actual building now for a 1 1/2 years while newer additions to the
school were replaced and everyone is anxious to get back home. Our school is
K-8 but was originally 1-12. The old part has clusters of free standing one
room structures linked by covered walkways, all made of a local sandstone.
What is your school like?

I know there were many of these communities established across the country.
(I just searched and found that there were more than 100). Ours was
established through the Subsistence Homesteads division of the Department of
the Interior. I wonder how many had schools that are still in use today.

Dale in TN